If you are an E-commerce marketer or an SEO specialist, you will relate to the fact that you have spent a significant amount of time and put in maximum effort into looking for the best practices out there to get a project ranking.
Let’s take a walkthrough of the best e-commerce SEO case study of 2019 and the perfect strategy for its success.
This case study is being given to you to showcase how Let’s Goo Social, Chennai’s #1 digital marketing company was able to increase revenue with the help of a solid custom-built SEO strategy for one of our e-commerce clients who operate in the poultry sector.
We would like to introduce you to a whole range of new ideas and strategies you can implement in your next campaign. This will help expand your knowledge and improve your SEO when it comes to e-commerce. Serve your customers better with these tips and tricks.
Our first strategy to improving SEO was to get a few things in place. We first checked for technical stability, content and onsite optimization, improve UX and do a thorough check on backlinks.
Our step-by-step approach helped increase our e-commerce client’s traffic by 5 times and doubled the sales in 3 months.
An overview about the e-commerce company:
E-commerce Poultry Sector
Ayur Eggs are a Hyderabad & Bangalore based near organic eggs and chicken suppliers who have an e-store. They are determined in giving their customers the finest and healthiest eggs.
Though this client was a brand with presence across two major cities, they did not have a digital presence as such and SEO was their top priority when it came to digital marketing. We had to start from scratch.
E-commerce EAT (Expertise, Authority & Trust) and Procuring Backlinks:
If a brand wants to establish itself and has a high-quality website like Ayur Eggs, the marketer’s approach should be focused on long term growth.
One trick is to create good and quality content that’ll give you backlinks naturally. Showing transparency and giving out the feeling of a strong brand presence i.e domain authority, will help in gaining trust.
Google continuously changes its algorithm, so we had to give heed to that and optimize accordingly at every step too.
“Google changes its algorithm roughly 500-600 times a year. Despite this, the results we set were achieved.”
- Get ranked for all the top keywords for the project (Volume: 1,600/mo | CPC: Rs113 | Competition: 63% | Tool: Google Keyword Planner).
- Ensure steady traffic growth and increase organic website traffic each month.
- Grow unique visitors via organic search by 30-50%.
- Increase organic sales.
Step by Step procedure of the road to success – an E-commerce SEO case study of 2019:
1. Give the audience an unbelievable e-commerce user experience.
The client had developed a new website (3-month-old) with Exact Match Domain for the targeted e-commerce website.
We had to work on making the website stand out and tweaking it to look as professional as possible. Identify and pinpoint the places where the user experience can be made easier and better. The idea was to help the user shop easily on the website.
This was done to match the website to the brand colours and give them a 360-degree experience. Adjusting the placement of the images, checking the scale of each product and page to improve the user experience and in turn increase conversion.
Today, we cannot ignore optimizing for mobile as more than half of the internet users use their mobiles for literally everything. Local and mobile optimization is important for any business today.
“40% of users will skip to a different search result it is not mobile-friendly”
We had to make sure our website was optimized for mobile for the user to have a pleasant
77% of users think adding a phone number is important. For Ayur Eggs, apart from the contact information, we added a live chat to solve customer queries instantly.
We did these few tweaks which are applicable to any website, so please do try on yours too for better response and to aid in conversions.
- Make email addresses clickable.
- Make phone numbers clickable.
- Increase font size wherever possible for the users to read clearly.
- We also added a WhatsApp icon, Live chat for faster sales closure on the website.
Do let us know how have these changes helped you.
2. On-page Optimization of the website:
Product and category analysis was done for each and every page on the website. We matched and analysed the keyword ranking for each page and optimised it accordingly to rank higher on Google Search.
We also looked at common backlinks, did competitor analysis, checked page titles and H1 tags for exact or partial match.
We also looked at important metrics such as images, page loading times, relevant content and top-ranking pages.
3. Technical optimization by stepwise auditing:
The success of an e-commerce website or any website lies in its technical auditing. The website might be experiencing several technical problems which need to be identified and resolved. This is where technical auditing comes into play.
Google Index Management
Google Index Management includes adding an XML sitemap to robot.txt, removing any duplication, managing index bloat and removing any traces of the previous website from Google Index.
URL parameters and HTTP Pages
Too many searches will lead to a bloat in the indexing and needs to be optimised. You need to specify the different URL parameters to Google Search Console. URL parameters are the ones whose values are set dynamically in a particular page’s URL.
Clearing Legacy Strategies
Clearing up of outdated meta keywords and seeing if there were any issues linked to legacy strategies present.
4. Building internal links to existing content:
The above steps will help you get closer to your SEO success already. The next step is to look for internal linking opportunities and build them.
Our client had no blogs on the website, which is a treasure trove of link juice and helps in establishing topical relevance.
We started writing blogs on the page to improve the relevance and create high-quality internal links to the product and category pages.
Fresh content was created on a regular basis to help with this.
Creating topical clusters on the e-commerce page
We linked back previous articles and blogs to the respective category and product pages in order to rank higher for a particular chosen keyword.
Information keywords with respect to a generic user search term to know what that product is about was used for blog selection.
Influencer keywords are the search terms people search before buying a product.
This trick helped us rank better on Google Search.
“50% of search queries are 4 words or longer. Keyword planning was very important when it came to a niche client like Ayur Eggs.”
5. Building a solid content strategy:
We focused on content that was relatable, algorithm friendly and optimised perfectly.
Our strategy included videos, attractive creatives and other important product highlights. We made sure user queries were answered directly through our content.
Content that lures users to go until the last step of the marketing journey is important. Always keep the marketing funnel in mind while creating content.
6. Link building strategy for an e-commerce website:
We checked and removed all the low-quality keywords which were of no use to our ranking.
We reviewed the backlinks of our top 3 competitors and tried to understand their link building strategy.
We built a strong backlink profile by using anchor texts from different medium to high-quality domains. We got links to pull traffic from other websites which helped increase our own traction.
We helped build their authority score from 0 to 22.
We also pushed to gain backlinks from local publishers helping us with local citations.
One huge trick to SEO success is to beat a competitor’s backlink profile.
We also executed below activities for better results
- Activated all social channels, especially with a focus to build a loyal audience on the Facebook and Instagram page.
- We also re-uploaded the project video on our YouTube channel with tweaks to highlight our contact info and optimized it for better search exposure.
- In off-page activities, we tried focusing more on the forums and communities, where there was an active conversation happening on the project or location topic.
- Other off-page activities are directory submissions, forum participation, article publishing, infographics submission etc.
We got ranked on the 1st page for all the primary keywords which were requested by the client.
- The organic traffic of our client increased by 200%.
- The organic sales of our client increased by 80%.
- We exceeded all our targets for our client.
We achieved all of this in just 3 months.
The Overall conclusion of the best SEO case study of 2019:
- SEO ranking and the results don’t happen overnight.
- It takes time, effort and exceptional strategy to make your mark.
- This SEO case study of 2019 is one such example of what relentless effort can bring you.
- Through this case study, we have brought to light just how important creating backlinks and building high-quality content for a business.
- Increase your chance of ranking better with the use of keywords.
- Do a thorough technical SEO analysis, optimization and create a fantastic user experience for overall success.
Would you like to get a free analysis of your website from the experts and run a successful business? Click on the button below and talk to our marketing manager today!